[Patricia] Day 15: Empowered and Green
Hip hip hooray! Day 15 of my #Organic30day challenge has arrived. I’m excited that I’ve come this far, but sad that in another 15 days the challenge will be over. Perhaps I should extend it to 60 days =) It’s been an eye-opening and fun experience exploring natural products, learning about ingredients, and documenting it along the way. I feel confident about the knowledge I’ve gained so far and find myself excited to put what I’ve learned into practice. Yesterday I went to the grocery store and found myself spending at least 5 minutes per product and investigating its ingredients before tossing it in my basket. I know what you might be thinking…BORING! I just want to get out of the store asap! I would have thought the same thing before too.
Surprisingly, it felt like I was reviewing ingredients out of habit vs. forcing myself to do it because of the challenge. It was actually pretty fun to see ingredients like “methylisothiazolinone ” and know exactly what it was used for and any negative effects it may have on my body. Yup. The word “empowered” pretty much sums up how I feel at the half way mark.
Some favorite tid-bits I’ve learned so far:
Watch out for:
- Polyethylene (PEG) is found in several personal care products. It’s a potential carcinogenic and immune system toxicant.
- There are several health concerns linked to Parabens — cancer, reproductive toxicity and neurotoxicity to name a few. Tarte cosmetics and many natural products market their products as Paraben Free.
- VOC (volatile organic compounds) chemicals like Formaldehyde found in wood cleaners and Acetone in nail polish remover can lead to chronic respiratory problems.
- Beeswax candles are the way to go. They have the cleanest burn, no paraffin are emitted into the air and they are ALL natural.
- Essential oils are great natural alternatives for everything ranging from cleaning products to medicine.
- Tarte cosmetics is a great beauty line that is formulated without parabens, phthalates and sodium lauryl sulfate
I’m ready for round 2! To be continued…